THE GROUP SCARF
Delving in the past we find that our Scarf has changed over the years - history has it that it was originally purple with a black band and this was changed to red at Scout Headquarters request at the time of King George V's death in 1936.
A Tartan Colour patch of the Campbell-Loudon Clan was worn at the peak of the scarf for a number of years after the Troop formed a Guard of Honour for the wedding of Captain (?) CampbellLouden an aide-de-camp to the Governor of that time. His family died out, and the Tartan was no longer available so for a few years the plain red and black scarf was worn, and then the Group Badge was added.
THE GROUP BADGE
Our Group Badge designed by former Scouters of the Group, Ray Brown, Barry Meyers and Kevin Phair, incorporates a stylised Scout Badge in the group colours of red and black, the colours being reversed on the shield.
The clasped hands above the shield symbolises the left hand shake of the World wide Brotherhood of Scouting, the scroll below containing the Group name.
The original painting of the badge goes to all camps and Jamborees with the Troop and the large Badge on the front door makes our Scout Hall one of the best known halls in Melbourne.
PRAHRAN DISTRICT BADGE
Was designed by Ted Seaborn a member of our Group for many years and the son of a former Group Scoutmaster Mr. Les Seaborn. This depicts an Aborigine of the Par-ra-hran Tribe looking at the rising skyline of the City of Melbourne from his tribal land of Par-ra-hran (Swampy land) on the south side of the Yarra River.
This badge, evolved from the Malvern and Prahran Distrct badges in 1995, now links the two. From Malvern: the Royal Coat of Arms; and, representing its former rural nature, the shields showing a plough and a sheaf of wheat over a sheep. From Prahran an Australian Aborigine (to whom Prahran means ‘swampy ground’) looking to the future and across the Yarra River towards the city skyline. The Scout badge has been added to represent Scouting harmony, unity and strength. The centre of the badge announces boldly STONNINGTON DISTRICT and it’s bright future ahead.
OUT OF THE PAST
Extracts taken from the newspaper "Every Saturday" Published between the years 1908 and 1916, and found in the Public Library in 1959...
18 SEP. 1909 - Mount Erica Methodist (Windsor) Troop
This troop marched last Saturday afternoon to Kooyong Heights. The work for the afternoon was instruction in signalling by Morse semaphore system. With the exception of about half a dozen the members of the troop were beginners in signalling. Our troop consists of five patrols, a sixth being formed from the remaining five for the purpose of the afternoon. Number 1 patrol (Kangaroos) took a position on the west of Glenferrie Road, towards Heyington station, to communicate with patrol No. 3 near Glenferrie Road. On the other side, the Galah patrol took the northern slope against the Wolves (No.5) who were near Kooyong station. About 200 yards to the eastward of the Wolves, the Owls,No. 5 patrol, were stationed to open up with station No. 6 (special patrol) who were posted on the slopes facing them to the north. Keen interest was displayed in the work, and desire to excel was very noticeable. Messages like “The enemy are near”, “Be careful'", "Keep away from the flags”, “We need no assistance”, “All right" were given, and acknowledged, whilst alphabet work was gone through. Our group is going ahead, and is weekly increasing in numbers. The afternoon's muster was 35 scouts (tenderfoot) and five patrol leaders, the Scout Master and assistant, one drummer assisting in the outward march. We propose giving a display towards the end of November to raise funds for a couple of bugles and towards a Christmas camp at Wandin. Our Scouts are anxious to pass their tests and wear the badges - H.A. Williams, Scout Master; G.W. Lewis, Assistant Scout Master.
25 SEP. 1909 - GIRLS NOT WANTED
The publication in "Every Saturday" of a picture of English girl scouts a fortnight ago provoked hostile criticism from the Scout Masters at their last meeting, and it was decided that girls were not wanted in the movement. To clinch the matter a motion was carried providing that any Scout Master assisting or aiding in the information of Girl Scouts should be asked to resign his troop. This decision is similar to that arrived by the Committee of Controls, Sydney, when it was decided that the Scout Masters who were assisting in the Girl Scouts movement should resign all connection with the boys, as it was felt that to recognise the Girl Scouts would only do the boy scout movement harm.
2 OCT. 1909 - THE WEEKS WORK
First Windsor (Mt. Erica) Troop - This troop marched to the heath paddocks on Saturday l8th. A good afternoon's work was put through in the form of "flag raiding”. The troop was divided into two sections, each forming a separate camp with a line of defenders to mind the flags which marked the base. A forward line of attack was thrown out by the first and second divisions to capture flags and bring back a sketch of the enemy's camp. Both sides lost men and flags. On Saturday 25th the Troop entrained at Windsor, en route for Hampton, to engage in a "Spider and Fly" contest. As on the previous Saturday the troop was divided into two divisions, the first working between Sandringham and Hampton, the second between Brighton Beach and Hampton. Good work was done on both sides. No.2 Division captured all the Spiders and No.l Division captured all but two of the second. The troop was dismissed for tea at 5.30 p.m. It was intended to carry out a night attack on the Hampton Pier but the weather prevented it, and all arrived home about 6.30. Next Saturday (2nd October), we intend going to Heyington to do "Bridge Building". On Sunday 26th inst. a church parade was conducted at the Mt. Erica Methodist Church by the Rev. John Thomas B.A. Chaplain of the troop. There were about 40 present, and an instructive talk on scouts "Honour" was delivered. 'Two patrols of the Toorak troop were present under A. S. Masters Emery and Field.
A series of lectures for ambulance scouts has been arranged for every Monday night at 8 o'clock in the junior schoolroom, on 'First Aid to the Injured', to be delivered by Mr. T.M. Stevenson, of the St. John's Ambulance Association. On the l8th inst. three of our troop A. Wrigley, P.L.; Scouts K. Wills and Mouat, passed successfully one of the tests for the first class badge, viz: 15 miles on a bicycle, riding from Heath Paddocks to Mordialloc P.O., getting date stamp there, and returning home in the given time G.W. Lewis, A.S.M., Troop Sec.
19 FEB 1910 - First Windsor (Mt. Erica Methodist)
on the 5th. inst. the troop listened to an address on "My experiences as a Scout through the Boer War", by Mr. Mark Murray. The speaker was heartily applauded by the scouts, who listened very attentively. Last Saturday the troop, to the number of 30, marched to Caulfield to undergo examination for Second Class badges. Two succeeded in passing, namely, Scouts W. Findley and K. Wills, and 15 passed all tests that time would allow, and it is hoped that these 15 will pass right through during the week. We are looking forward to the whole troop having Second Class badges which will not be long, as all scouts are working hard for them. We are looking forward to the District Camp at Easter, and as far as we know now, First Windsor will have a full number, 25 names having been given in already. - H. A. Williams, S.M.
9. APR. 1910 - FIRST WINDSOR AT GREENSBOROUGH
This troop, to the number of 35, attended the district camp at Greensborough, and had a good and instructive time. The Galah patrol had the pleasure of winning the prize for the best kept tent of the camp, and the Rams patrol won the prize for the best patrol of the troop at camp. Last Saturday was spent in playing football. The boys are very eager to win the premiership of the district for the coming season.
The troop is growing in numbers, the roll numbering 43; also that 25 boys have fully qualified for the Second Class badges, and are working for their first class. It is our intention to hold a concert shortly to raise funds for the troop, and also for the football club. - A. Williams, S.M.
The first mention of the Rover Crew in the Troop Log is in June 1925 when the Act/Scoutmaster Mr. Jim Douglas formed the senior scouts in the Troop into a Rover patrol known as the "Strezlecki" Rovers.
THE KEITH QUELCH TROPHY
In 1934, a member of the Group, Keith Quelch, was drowned whilst unsuccessfully trying to save the life of a companion while swimming in the Yarra at Blackburn.
To commemorate his bravery Victorian Scout Headquarters presented to the Troop a trophy, to be known as the "Keith Quelch Trophy for Scouting Proficiency in the Troop".
JOEY SCOUTS - OUR NEWEST SECTION
Our Joey Scout Mob commenced in September last year. Joey Scouts, being the youngest of the five sections in Scouting (ages 6 to 7 years), begin their Scouting by participating in a programme of games activities and stories, which highlights caring, sharing and nature. By working in ad hoc small groups they learn about themselves and others, and develop a sense of self worth.
A SHORT HISTORY OF 2ND PRAHRAN SCOUT HALL
This history has been written so that the present and future members of 2nd Prahran Group will know something about the history of our Scout Hall which was built in 1896 as a Voluntary Fire Brigade. Fire Brigades in those days were of two types: the voluntary ones, and the Insurance Company Brigades, (these would only attend fires where the building was insured by the company), there was great rivalry between the various Brigades.
In 1895 we found that the Williams Road site was a vacant block owned by George Reynolds who owned all the surrounding land. Then in 1896 the East Prahran Voluntary Fire Brigade Hall was built with Chief Officer Stanley in charge.
In 1901 the building was bought by the newly formed Metropolitan Fire Brigade Board when all Brigades came under the same organisation. It then became the East Prahran Fire Station.
Fire Brigade Officers in Charge were: 1896 - 1904 . E. J. Stanley 1905 - 1910 . S. L. Payne 1910 - 1917 . A. N. Moore
On the l0th October 1917 the M.F.B. sold the property for £810 to Thomas Reynolds, who founded the firm of "Rinoldi" in Aberdeen Road, and the Hall became a store for their products until bought by 2nd Prahran Scout Group in 1940 from the Reynolds estate.
Tenants in the flat attached to the Hall have been:-
1896- 1904 -- E. J. Stanley M.F.B.
1905- 1910 -- S. J. Payne M.F.B.
1911- 1917 -- A. N. Moore M.F.B.
1917 -- T. Bennett
1918 -- Richardson
1919- 1939 -- R. Todd
1940- 1966 -- H. Shreeve
1967- 1997 -- L. Pearce.
1998 -- C. Johns
1999 - -- M. Rogers
Since the property was bought by 2nd Prahran in 1940 for £800 very many changes have taken place. After the war the horse stalls were taken out, and the old sloping asphalt floor replaced with a wooden one. In 1956 a new tiled roof replaced the old leaking slate and iron one (the rear of the hall finally losing the old leaking box gutter down the centre). 1957 saw the front garden concreted, the old original Fire Brigade doors replaced.
The Senior Den & Storeroom were built in 1959 and the old fibro store was rebuilt near the rear door.
In 1960 the partition across the end of the hall gave us a much needed kitchen and chair storage space.
1966 – Trouble !!? the parapet at the front of the hall developed a dangerous wobble and four steel rods were inserted and the top of the parapet rebuilt. At the same time the office floors collapsed! and these were replaced with a concrete one on top of the original brick floor which was discovered underneath the old one.
On the death of Mrs. Shreeve in 1966 the flat was modernised and painted. The front room was retained by the Group as a Rover Den.
In 1973 we saw the result of years of planning and replanning - a new toilet block attached to the Hall with one toilet opening outside for our tenants, a workshop, storeroom, concreting in the back yard, and a pole storage rack. The kitchen has been lined and a S.S. sink and wall cupboard installed, and a skylight window gives us much needed light and air. The door into the flat has been bricked up. The old brick manure pit in the back yard has gone at last, and the exterior of the building has been painted.
1974. Floor replaced in Hall - assistance from Youth, Sport and Recreation.
1982 and 1989. The exterior of the building was painted.
The numbering of the property has changed from No.84 in 1901 to No. 92 in 1908, and finally in 1918 to 92-94.
If you stand on the footpath and look up above the group sign, the words Metropolitan Fire Brigade can still be seen, and the two stone bollards remain near the front door. The National Trust have asked us to preserve these.
Thus, we show our Scout hall as it is now and was in the past.
Information for this short history has been gathered from the State Library of Victoria, the Latrobe Library, the Metropolitan Fire Brigade and Prahran City Council.
Betsy Stidston / David Stidston
1909 . Mount Erica Methodist Church (lst Windsor Mount
1919 - 1928 : Prahran Congregational Church, Malvern Road.
1928 - 1928 : Hawksburn Presbyterian Church, Motherwell St., Hawksburn
1928 - 1930 : Toorak Methodist Church
1930 - 1940 : Prahran Methodist Church, Cnr. Commercial Rd., & Moore Street.
1940 - : 'Scout Hall', 92 Williams Road., Prahran
Back to top of page
2nd Prahran Home Page